Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lebanese Groov'in in Dallas: Eat, Belly Dance, Hookah!

Al-Amir Restaurant
7402 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX Tel: (214) 739-2647
http://www.alamirdallas.net/

If the Texas heat has made you weary and you can’t fathom mall-walking again just to cool off let Al-Amir Restaurant be your ultimate oasis. This Lebanese themed supper club is by far one of the best ethnic experiences in Dallas combining classic belly dancing entertainment and Middle Eastern dining with foods like shish-kabobs, hummus, babaganoush, tabouli, falafel and many other delectable items. My husband and I shared the shish-kabob, which along with the other side dishes and dips was plenty. For a bird’s eye view close enough to see beads of sweat on belly dancer foreheads I suggest making an advanced reservation. My husband and I were joined by 2 married couples and long time friends. In terms of a night out for the 6 of us Al-Amir exceeded our expectations and was a rare, exotic, affordable treat, vastly different than any place in town. If I didn’t know that I was in Dallas I could have easily been in Beirut. It appeared that Al-Amir is where Dallas Middle Eastern families dine and when the moon comes out where Middle Eastern young people go to shake their groove thang downstairs at the bar’s disco where the DJ mixes modern Arabic dance favorites with a few Salsa tunes for good measure. The result is an ancient primal beat that’ll keep you dancing no matter how left footed you are. And though I’m not an advocate of smoking, some of you might like to try hookah, the Arabic version of a water pipe with four arms to share with your friends and a selection of pleasantly scented tobaccos like apple and mint. Being a native New Yorker I had occasion to frequent many Middle Eastern supper clubs in Manhattan. I never expected to find one in Dallas with all of the cultural nuances. Al-Amir is actually better. Why you ask? For starters, Al-Amir is spacious with several dining rooms. Though the place became more crowded as the evening went on I never felt like a packed sardine being rushed out of my can. Some on-line reviewers of Al-Amir have commented on unfriendly service and improper bills, but I did not find that to be the case. However, word to the wise that your tip might be added on to your bill as it was for us. The drink mixologists were on their game, except for the fact that my chocolate martini was made with Hershey’s syrup instead of Godiva, but honestly that’s my only complaint. If you arrive early parking is free and in plenty otherwise you can valet. The bathrooms were clean whether at 7:00pm or at 11:00pm. Al-Amir gets my top score for being the most unique and ethnically authentic restaurant-entertainment experience in Dallas bar-none. Y=Best of the Best

No comments: