Thursday, July 12, 2007

Vietnamese: Zander's House Restaurant

2300 N. Central Expway at Park Road/ Plano, TX 75074/Phone: 972 943-9199

I have put off going to Zander’s House Restaurant for months. I remember the previous horrid August Moon Chinese restaurant that was there. The scarcity of cars in Zander’s parking lot made me timid, too. When their sign looked as though it had been hit by lightening I thought that the place might be cursed. I recently had lunch there and am happy to report that my mojo is intact and I’m still sufficiently quirky enough to write these reviews. I had the beef over vermicelli with fresh vegetables which was delicious and satisfied for the entire day. Though I’m not a big fan of beef (and I moved to Texas?) I was feeling a little risqué and gave it a whirl. I expected dry and tough but was pleased to get piled high, tender and thinly sliced. Lunch specials range around $7 and include popular noodle bowls and other Vietnamese specialties. A nutritious value; I don’t know how they can afford to be so generous with their portions, which includes salad too. The lime and chili sauce was a perfect compliment. The place bustled with an Asian crowd whether business types or families with youngsters. The owners, the Bui family, hail from New York where they successfully operated a Vietnamese style restaurant for many years--- no small feat! As to the authenticity, freshness and presentation of the food I must give sufficient props. Service is friendly and prompt however the voluminous space can make it somewhat loud. As spacious as it is many tables are stacked and waiters insist upon scrunching customers. I was practically elbow to elbow with two guys who slurped rather loudly which made it difficult to read the newspaper, eat and decompress for an hour. Next time I will be more insistant about choosing my own table. Yankees Eat Rating = 4 Very Good

No comments: